Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Next Day

I was taking a regular public bus home from my university today. Its a cheap bus, but its an hour into the city, so they put a TV on it. I enjoyed watching the Olympics on this TV in August, but have not enjoyed it since. Usually its some loud program that just gets in the way of my ipod music. Well, today, I looked up and saw Obama on the screen. I pulled my headphones out and listened. Just then the woman next to me nudged me and asked if that was my country. A huge smile came to my face, "Yes, yes it is!" She asked me if I liked Obama and I said yes, I am happy he got elected. She said we Chinese people all like him. I told her I like all Chinese people.

On a regular day, I get asked on average three times what country I come from from random people on the street, people sitting next to my on buses, food vendors, etc. Today was the first day I said I was American with a big proud smile on my face. They knew why; they told me Obama was 'hard-core' because he's the first black president (most common response) and because he represents the world, not just America (my personal favorite).

I guess a lot of Chinese people rode TV-equipped buses and saw his speech. Or they watched from home. But as I was on a bus in the middle of Harbin and saw his face, I knew that he represents so much more to many more people than just Americans. And here we have the first President who really understands and articulates the position of global inter-connectedness we are in. In my idealistic view of the world, I hope that everyone-American or not, Democratic or Republican or Other-can understand how we need a new kind of leader for a new kind of leader for a new kind of world. Obama may or may not be able to undertake that task, but I think he is at least a starting point.

Ok, after today, I promise not to continue talking about this. I just need a few days to calm down-and to find out what kind of dog the new First family-elect gets.

3 comments:

Margaret Shugart said...

It's so good to read this- it gave me chills (in a good way)! One of the first thoughts that popped in my head on election night was "now it'll be easier to travel!" It's just a different climate now, you know? We can breathe easier and feel like there's some hope for a unifying, positive direction that is inclusive of other nations. I am glad you are enjoying that now!

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm happy that people are excited in Harbin. Don't feel like you are missing anything, however. The media here is going a bit overboard I think. They are reporting every movement that President (elect) Obama makes. I think I heard a play-by-play report of Barack putting on a seat belt yesterday.

Amy Z said...

Oh yes, I know. I am following the papers and getting sick of it from all the way over here. It was fun for two days. Now we can move on.