Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Scientific Expertise

I am a social scientist. I study people and social processes. A geographer can be either a social or a natural scientist. Its pretty silly, actually, that the divide exists in the first place (but that is another topic that I am not getting into). But the people I work with at Northeast Agricultural University in Harbin are natural scientists. They study rice quality from a much different perspective. But I work with them in their lab because I am interested in learning about the scientific reasons that make rice quality. Of course, the scientific research is only one perspective of many that contribute to the story I am trying to uncover and tell. It is definitely the most complicated. They tell me all about starch content using fancy words I don't even understand in English, let alone Chinese.

I am interested in the scientific perspective of agricultural production for a number of reasons. Right now I am reading a biography of a man referred to as China's 'father of modern rice' for 'inventing' hybrid rice in the 1960s. His discoveries and scientific experiments came at a time when having scientific expertise was not necessarily the trait of a good Communist. Since the late 1970s when China embraced science and modernization, this man has been a hero (hence having a biography published). There are a lot of interesting connections between the broader political environment and the emphasis of scientific research. I think the emphasis on quality rice these days reflects a change in China, as it tries to produce higher quality goods rather than the cheap goods its known for.

I enjoy working with the agricultural scientists. But I am in this awkward position where I learn from them, but I am also analyzing what we talk about (granted I do this with everyone I talk to on the street who tells me something interesting about rice). I have to take what they tell me as both scientific expertise, but also as a perspective on why rice is considered quality. In other words, I am learning about rice expertise at the same time I am trying to analyze it within this social context.

A few nights ago, I randomly ended up at a dinner where I sat next to an American nutritional scientist from California who studies rice quality. I took every opportunity to ask him about what I was learning from my lab-mates (I don't know if 'mate' is the right word because I don't work in the lab, I just visit). He confirmed a lot of what I had learned and offered his own perspective on different things. I told him how glad I was to have him confirm things for me. But, even as I said it, I felt slightly uncomfortable, like I was reaching to an American to confirm what I had already learned from Chinese. I don't want to dis-qualify what the Chinese scientists are teaching me by asking Americans. But I also want to make sure that their perspective is in line with general ideas about rice quality from those who study similar topics.

In any case, scientific characteristics of 'quality rice' are complex (scientifically and politically) and it never hurts to get more, rather than less, confirmation.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I don't think you should feel uncomfortable for looking for someone to confirm what you already learned. It's not like you wanted an American to confirm what the Chinese scientists have said - if you were sitting next to someone from Australia, you would have viewed their opinion in the same way. This rice expert just happened to be from the US.

Besides, you're researching and trying to draw broad conclusions. Doesn't part of that require you to ask multiple sources the same question and compare the answers?

Plus, I sort of think the flip side of being open-minded is that you question things, rather than just accepting it because someone tells you to (not that this theory is anything more than a hypothesis).

Anyway, I think simply noticing and recognizing your feelings of awkwardness speaks volumes of your... I don't know, cultural sensitivity/awareness?

So, my real question is, from a technical standpoint, is starchy rice "good" or "bad" quality? Because I personally can't stand mochi, or those globs of glutinous rice they served in the Chinese dining halls. But for some reason, I really like the sticky rice in Thailand -even when they use it to make rice balls. And I really like sushi rice. So I'm curious - would you classify my taste in rice as high or low brow?

And now I really want some rice. I've been craving it for about a week now. It must be the cold weather.

Amy Z said...

Alison, my Asian-traveling friend, you raise exactly the questions I've been expecting. I did not go into detail on this post for a number of reasons (primarily length and trying to figure it out myself). I was expecting some questions about what I had actually learned about rice.

One question my new American informant answered was a simple one: is japonica (short-grain) rice generally higher quality than indica (long-grain)? His answer is simple: the two strains are completely different and its hard to compare.

Both japonica and indica rice come in sticky, glutonous forms. You bring up rice from 3 countries: China, Thailand, Japan. In a general sense (in Asia), Thailand and Japan are known for their good, high quality rice. China is not. Thai sticky rice is long grain indica rice. Japanese sushi rice is short grain japonica. Both are completely different kinds of rice, but generally high quality. Not sure which Chinese rice you are talking about specifically, so I can't answer that one. I do know that most of the Chinese rice served in dining halls is not high quality. Why would it be, when the high quality rice (of limited proportions in China-either indica or japonica) is being sold in markets for a much higher price?

Sticky Thai rice with spicy Thai salads does sound pretty good right now.

Margaret Shugart said...

Wow, I logged on to congratulate you on excellent anthropological work, and now I'm deeply craving green papaya salad with sticky rice.

I think it is the mark of true wisdom to cross reference information from within and outside of a culture. Marvin Harris, an anthropologist from the 1970's, calls it emic and etic knowledge. I hope you are able to meet lots of different people from different backgrounds and able to ask them these same questions. There are a lot examples in ethnographies where having more than one source would have provided greater illumination of the information gathered; sometimes people within the culture don't see the whole picture (I know we don't see ourselves clearly as Americans!)

Also it's not only about trusting the people we talk to, it's about trusting ourselves to reach objective (as objective as can get) conclusions about what we hear. And talking to another person is a wonderful way to do that. Alison was right, I think- it's not so much that he was American, but that he was someone else studying the same thing. And that's really exciting!

Good luck and keep up the great detective work!