1978 was a big year for China. China's entire political economic landscape is dominated by the reforms that began in this year. Deng Xiaoping took over after the death of Mao and initiated the policies now commonly known as Reform and Opening Up. Reform refers to domestic economic reforms which began in the countryside and moved China away from a Communist state-dominated economy. Opening Up refers to external reforms that began economic, trade, and scientific collaboration between China and foreign countries. Over and over again, Chinese celebrate the past thirty years by citing achievements in economic development and technological progress.
Understanding the way China is sets the stage for the changes that occurred in 1978 sets the background for my research. Producing quality rice is a way to get beyond the obsession with producing mass quantities of rice that came with Communism. As China celebrates thirty years of progress and success, 1978 is tauted as a new beginning. And thirty years ago in the US, new beginnings were also taking place but on a much different scale.
Thirty years ago today I was born. Although my life has paralleled China's reforms, I spent my first twenty years pretty much oblivious to what was happening in China. And now I am in the midst of a major research project examining the effects of these reforms through Chinese rice. This is not my first birthday in China. I spent my first birthday here seven years ago in Luzhou, Sichuan at Xingqi Ba (a place where everyone knew my name). It was the one place in Luzhou where I could always go to feel at home. I was back there the next year.
Last year on my birthday, I was in Colorado, thinking about how and when I would return to China next. The day before I had submitted a major grant proposal I had crammed into writing in just six weeks. I spent most of my birthday obsessing over the minor details I had (or had not) written into the grant. Well, it worked out just fine. I got that grant and now I am here.
I gave a presentation this morning at a conference. My presentation was about linking culture, economy, and ecology through rice in China. Before the presentation, the group presented me with a big poster everyone had signed and written in different languages. Embarrassingly, they also sang Happy Birthday in English and a variety of Northeast Asian languages (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Russian-maybe some Mongolian as well). The presentation went well and now I can relax. What a cool way to spend a birthday.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Happy Birthday! Hope you find some great xiao kao and hotpot!
Hi Amy - i was just looking at the Boone family calendar and was reminded it was your bday so i wanted to check in. My happiest best wishes - and my sincerest admiration as well. what an amazing experience you are having - i look forward to hearing all about it when our paths next cross.
happy birthday, love
jennifer (and JT, eliza, jimmy and jeremy)
Happy birthday!
It sure seem like a long time since you last celebrated your birthday at home. I am glad you have had a bappy celebration this year.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed your day. I definitely miss the birthdays at Allegheny!!! Miss ya. Meg
Hi Amy,
Evidently I read the Boone calendar much more slowly than Jennifer. Happy Belated Birthday. We certainly enjoy reading your blog. Your observations are very interesting.
See you....sometime!
Love,
Natalie
happy belated b-day!
Post a Comment