Sunday, October 5, 2008

Leeks Everywhere

I love the change of seasons! There are so many great stories I have to write about. Since its been way too long since I have posted photos, I have some good ones to share that speak for themselves. Its getting cold here in Harbin and people are preparing for winter. Most evident in their preparations are the leeks lining the sidewalks here. Literally everywhere you look in residential neighborhoods, leeks are sitting outside drying in the sun. If dried properly, leeks can last through the winter.

As I was running this morning, I saw a line of people behind a truck. They were buying big bundles of leeks from the back of the truck, strapping them to the backs of their bikes, and heading home to (presumably) lay them out in the sun. As soon as the leeks are done, I was told yesterday, cabbage would be next. Sure enough, this morning I saw some Chinese cabbage out next to the leeks. By next week, it might all be cabbage.

Here is the little store below my apartment building lined with leeks, waiting for the sun.

This woman was tearing off the outside layers of the leeks and laying them out. When I stopped to watch her, she handed me one and told me to keep it. Then she told me it wasn't enough and I needed more. I had to insist that I was going somewhere and could not carry them with me.

I believe the bundles are held together with dried, braided rice stalks.

2 comments:

dave said...

Here in Maine, Doreen and I will take our leeks out of the ground sometime this week. We don't have enough to keep them over winter. This is the fist year I've grown leeks, and they're quite skinny. They'll probably get consumed within a week or two, most likely in potato leek soup.

Amy Z said...

Last week, people were lining up for potatoes and all I could think about was how good potato leek soup would be. Then I remembered the cooking utensils that I don't have here. And looking at the ground where these leeks sit, I bet skinny ones grown in an organic Maine garden are pretty delicious. Thanks for making my mouth water, Dave!