Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, China

Today was a national holiday to celebrate China's birthday. The People's Republic of China turned 59 today. Most people have the week off.

Chinese people in general are very proud of their country/culture and like to remind me that America is only 200 years old, while China is over 2000 years old.

The next time I am told this, I may remind a Chinese person that the Chinese government is 59 years old.

China celebrates a holiday where the Communists won and created a new country. But today China is desperately trying to move away from its association with Communism.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday China!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it ironic that Communist China and the "Bunsel" have the same birth month.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the "bunsel" is but many wonderful people were born in October.

Amy Z said...

Yes, great people were born in October. Great people were also born in February.