Friday, September 11, 2009

random rice fact

The other day, my roommate and quizzed each other using the trivia questions from the game Cranium. Cranium is a really fun game. We have the game in our possession at the moment and are itching to play, but we need 4 people to play the game. Sadly, I don't think many of the pop culture references translate to Chinese, so we would need to play with other westerners. Instead of playing we have resorted to reading through the trivia questions and feeling like we are learning something.

So here is a question she asked me:

True or False

Throwing rice at weddings is bad because the rice expands in birds' stomachs.

My response: that is so true!

The actual response: False. I did research online about this. Apparently Ann Landers propagated this rumor in the 1960s. Both bird and rice groups have proven this wrong.

On a game-related note: bi-lingual Pictionary is super-fun! We played with a group last week of mostly both English and Chinese speakers, though we had one English only and one Chinese only speaker. A lot of checking electronic dictionaries on iphones was necessary because there are a lot of specific vocabulary.

2 comments:

cornucopiandad said...

i know Koreans love games, i wonder if all Asians love playing games like pictionary, mafia, concentration, etc.

Amy Z said...

John-so funny you mentioned Mafia. As we were thinking about games to play, that crossed my mind. But then I thought I would need to contact Nickie or one of the Indian Lake crew members to remind me the rules.

I don't usually play many games with Chinese friends. Chinese games are mostly limited to simple card games (sometimes involving drinking) and games like chess that old men play out in the streets and allow crowds to gather around.