On October 1, China celebrates its 60th Birthday as the People's Republic. Beijing is in the midst of preparing a huge celebration for this momentous occasion. As a result, we are feeling the effects of it. For the last few weekends, Tiananmen Square has been closed off as performers practice for the parade and performance. I have seen a large tank filled with soldiers in a big intersection near my house on the weekends (a tank is so symbolic for China). Today traffic is closed off on major roads as the parade is practiced. For the next few weeks, old men who like to fly kites and let their pigeons out of cages to fly are forbidden to do so anywhere near the Square in the center of Beijing. Apparently all university students in Beijing are going to be required to attend the actual performance on October 1. It will be broadcast on Chinese TV. I actually don't have a TV so I might have to miss it.
If its anything like the Olympics, I am sure I will be able to buy a DVD of the performance the next day. I will just make a plan not to go anywhere too far from home those days.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment