I should have added this to my list yesterday. Even in rural China, Michael Jackson music lives on! I know we are all sick of hearing about his death. Ironically, a message from my dad complaining about the over-coverage of his funeral in the US made me think this story was worth telling.
I was in Shanghai when MJ’s death was announced. By that afternoon, a mall was playing his music. [On a side note, I was selfishly disappointed because for the first time in a while I had access to CNN International, but all that was broadcast for 2 days were people around the world mourning MJ’s death].
Back in Harbin, over the past two weeks, DVD stores have created shelves displaying his music and videos. University campuses have set up outside kiosks selling MJ T-shirts. It seems to have taken a week or so for the stores to get set up with all the MJ equipment but it is out in full force.
A few days ago, I was walking down the main road of my village in the countryside when I passed a small hole-in-the-wall barbershop. Its doors were open so I could hear the music. They were playing Beat it. I loitered in front of the store for a bit and the next song to come on was Billie Jean. They must have gotten a hold of a Michael Jackson CD.
I won’t say this village is in the middle of nowhere; geographically, it is near a major city in China. But upon entering the village, it feels worlds away from the modern amenities of a city. Yet, the legacy of Michael Jackson has found its way here.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment