Fun, huh? I go because I have access to amazing things and I never know what is going to happen. Yesterday between our 6 hours of train, bus and car travel, I asked several times why we were going. The answer was that a new program was starting and our professor was asked to attend the opening ceremony and give some advice. Typical Chinese vague-ness. I usually wait and see what happens. We got there and toured the greenhouses and our professor told them what to do better.
Then this morning was the opening ceremony. We walked into a room set up with a long table and were told to sit at it with other important-looking people. Along the back wall were farmers. Some of the village leaders spoke for a while, reading off a document. I spaced out and stopped listening after 20 minutes. Then I heard "tongyi?" (agree?) and everyone raised their hands. Next was "butongyi" (disagree?) and no one raised a hand.
They had my attention. I felt like I was in a town meeting. Then all the farmers in the back were handed papers. For what? To cast a vote for the leader of the organization.
PS-for those of you not familiar with Chinese politics, village voting in China has gained attention over the past decade or so. As much as I love the idea of civic participation, I am skeptical for a lot of reasons about the way this system of voting is developing in China. But I just got back from a long day and am too tired to elaborate on it now. Its happening, I saw a form of it this morning, and my skepticism remains.

No comments:
Post a Comment