After I met Tera, I explained my rice research project. I told her I was trying to visit some of Harbin's street food markets in the morning. The problem is that the markets are all open at 6am and need to be closed by 8am (Harbin law). Its early and cold outside at that time. I could easily wake up that early if I needed to be somewhere, but with no one expecting me to be there, I had not been motivated to get to visit them. Tera knew of some in her neighborhood and immediately offered to get up and show me around one morning. Then I told her I was planning to visit another market and she offered to come with me. At 6 am. She offered her services as a personal research assistant.
When I plan to meet her, I have to be there and I have no excuse not to go outside. Having someone there to meet me makes me go. And I have had some productive mornings at the markets. I'm not collecting much information at the markets, just seeing how many rice stalls there are and the varieties of rice they sell (hoping that one day when it actually gets warm here I will spend more time at the markets). I don't need Tera there to do anything aside from walk with me. She keeps me company. It works well for her because she wants to go to grad school for a PhD one day so she is getting exposed to (the fun part of) graduate work. Sometimes she stops to pet the fish for sale.
Markets are pretty fun places.
And when we are finished, we stop at a nearby KFC to warm up and wake up with hot coffee.

4 comments:
你现在有一位的观众!从事我不会忘记天天来读一下。。。
:-)
What happened? You have long hair now!
Wang Jieming-thanks for reading. Two things.
1)We are no longer summer language program classmates restricted and confined by a Chinese-only language pledge. You are allowed to write English to me! (But I guess the Chinese is a fun secret code).
2) I have ALWAYS had long hair, so its funny you are surprised by it. Just before I came to China this summer I cut a bunch of it off in anticipation of a hot and humid summer (even if it was way up north in Harbin-it was still hot). But its been a while since then.
Hahaha, I know I can write English to you, but I also know that you can read Chinese, so I write it mostly for my benefit.
However, since you have expressed a clear preference for English, I'm totally cool with sticking to that.
(I knew you had long hair, but it's the thing where the first image you have of someone is the image you think is normal for them.)
Its OK. 中文,英文都可以!
Post a Comment