Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Crazy Weather

I've been hearing stories about crazy weather all across the US these past couple months. Indeed, these crazy weather patterns are occurring all around the world. Take, for example, China.

I got a text message from a friend in Beijing this morning. "U at the market this morning? Weather here is awesome. Supposed to get into mid-70s today!" My response? "Its Snowing here! &*^%@&#^%&." Beijing is far, but not that far from Harbin. So to have such a drastic difference in weather was surprising (and somewhat frustrating).

I don't mind snow. In fact, I love it. But yesterday was a hint of spring. The sun shone brightly throughout the day. Built-up sidewalk ice was melting. I was overheating at 8 in the morning at the market because I was wearing too many layers of clothes. Then today, the temperature dropped and we had about 3 inches of snow fall throughout the day. Luckily I did not wear my clogs outside. Last week the same thing happened and I walked around the city for 2 hours in clogs. Needless to say, I came home with wet feet.

One day it looks like this. Imagine the sound of pitter pattering water dripping off those icicles.
The next day, we are back to winter again.
I love walking down the street on snowy days because just about every store owner is out sweeping the snow away from his or her chunk of sidewalk in front of the shop.
I also love sunny days at the market where dogs can sit outside (without sweaters as is typical practice here) and help their owners weigh food. (Non-sequitur? Perhaps. But too cute of a photo not to include here).

No comments: