Friday, January 16, 2009

Research in Action

This morning I had a friend request that I put more pictures of me in my blog photos. By shear coincidence, I also received a request today from the person who administers one of my grants to send in a picture of me 'doing' my research. Had it just been my friend requesting, I would have (politely) ignored it. But then it became official. I've been cornered.

So I walked across the street to the home of my new favorite hangout--the back room of a Beijing vegetable market where grain is sold. I was planning to do surveys there anyway, so I brought my camera along. I handed it over to my 12-year old friend working behind the counter of his mother's shop. Here are the results.
Sifting rice through their hand is something customers do when deciding which rice to purchase. I thought I would try.

Do I look official? Do I look like an expert? Or do I look completely posed for this 'in action' picture?

Now the fun begins. Which one do I submit to my fellowship as evidence that I am here working hard and putting their money to good use? VOTE, please.

6 comments:

Abby H. said...

I like the first one - candid, and there is more to look at. Also, clipboard = official, always.

Margaret Shugart said...

This *is* a toughy because they each have something going for them. Being able to see your face up close is a benefit, but the first one really puts you into context. You look really relaxed in that one too. Okay, I'm going with the first.

Jessica said...

I think the first was is excellent! That's the one I'd pick!

Jessica said...

That doesn't appear to make sense.
I was trying to say the first photo is excellent!

Amy Z said...

Thank you all for your votes. I got some votes via email, too. The winner was definitely the first one. I was concerned about the picture being too busy, so I actually sent the first and the second ones to them. Yes, the second one came in second even though I got an emphatic NO on that one (they said it look 'too touristy'). I also had another one from the rice fields in the fall that I sent but I wasn't doing anything in it, just standing there. So they can choose.

Anonymous said...

I vote for number one. Number three looks good too.