Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas at the Olympic Venues

The weather has been beautiful for January in Beijing. Yesterday I went to check out the stadiums where the Olympics were held this summer. Aside from the buildings themselves, what did I find?

The stadiums decorated for Christmas.

Complete with [fake] Christmas trees outside the bird's nest.

And in front of the water cube.

And a big [fake] tree inside the bird's nest.And a Santa sleigh with reindeer (complete with a real guard).
Plus a performance by the Olympic fuwa (good luck doll) mascots.


For a country that claims not to have religious beliefs, China has certainly embraced Christmas this year. But what we find are the fun, non-religious symbols of Christmas. Stores are decorated with trees and tinsel and Santa Clauses. Christmas carols are played. Wreaths decorate lamp posts. But the real story of Christmas is not told.

And here in the symbolic place where China showed itself to the world, China embraces customs of a global holiday. But of course, its a holiday with Chinese characteristics. A holiday lacking in meaning. But full of kitschy decorations. Especially when combined with the fuwas.

5 comments:

Margaret Shugart said...

I love the mascots and the real sleigh guard! More of those in the US.

Lei Wang said...

mm.. i have a few christian friends who don't celebrate christmas because he thinks it's too commercialized. but the chinese do take any reason to celebrate. i hear the american economic downturn is taking a huge toll though on (mostly southern, like guangzhou) companies that manufacture toys, fake trees, and other christmas trappings.. maybe they're getting shipped to beijing instead.

Lei Wang said...

btw, this is 王康蕾 from CET, not just some random creeper. i forget if i've commented before.

also, regarding your entry below (the journal style you mention sounds awesome - i'm gonna try it) read this article about new year's resolutions and the processes of your brain: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/fashion/01change.html

*SPOILER ALERT*

*****
******
******* (in case you don't have time to read with all your rice research)

basically saying humans are never really ready to change, so just trick your brain and do it anyway!!

Lei Wang said...

also realized i have poor grammar at 1 am. (see 1st post) sorry. =D

Amy Z said...

After posting this, I realized I forgot to put a claimer on here to say I realize that many people in the US forget the real story behind Christmas and just celebrate the commercialized parts of it.

Thanks for your great comments! I miss you :)