Had it not been for a reminder from my wonderful group of friends from the Peace Corps days in Sichuian, I would have totally forgotten that this week six years ago was when our service was abruptly ended. One morning I was totally content walking to the market to buy a big batch of vegetables to make dumplings. By that afternoon, I was frantically packing 80 pounds of stuff and trying to contact as many friends as I could to say last minute goodbyes. Two days later, I was back in the USA after nearly 2 years away.
In the end, the evacuation worked out well. I was planning to go to grad school in the fall and I had a couple more moths to prepare. I got to travel in the US that summer to visit family and friends. I even wound up with a cool stint working at a farm camp for teenagers. But the entire evacuation process was a haunting reminder that even though the US government sent us to go and live and work alongside Chinese people, we remained Americans with passports and the ability to be pulled away from any potentially dangerous situation.
I still look back at the SARS experience from my perspective of being caught in the middle of two competing worlds. At the time I left, no one around me knew much about SARS. If they had heard of it, it was something that was not a big deal that was happening in Hong Kong, far away from Sichuan. Everyday I checked online sources at the local internet cafe to read intense, fear-producing stories about SARS coming from the US. I thought both sides were extreme, but the US version of the story ultimately determined the fate of 80 Peace Corps Volunteers serving in China at the time.
So six years ago, I left China for the first time. I was certain that I would return, but come back on my own terms. I also wanted to come back with more of an intellectual challenge ahead of me. Don't get me wrong-doing the Peace Corps in Sichuan was an invaluable experience. But teaching in China is a monotonous job and I often felt more valued simply for my English speaking abilities than any environmental experience or expertice I was supposed to have to be a volunteer in the first place (my job title was officially 'Environmental Education Volunteer').
Of course, I have come back to China many times since 2003. I think all of the trips I have made here have been leading up to the research I am currently doing. And I am happy to be doing this crazy, overwhelming (at times) fun project. Its been worth it, and I can sense that now especially with spring's arrival. People here have removed their winter layers of clothing and there is a bounce to everyone's stride. I think with spring in Harbin comes a contagious joy. I hope that happiness is not just limited to Harbin. Happy Spring!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This was the week we were semi-quarantined in a hotel in Reston, VA with nothing but pizza, beer, and pictures of Iraq on TV to entertain us. A bizarre week. I can't believe its been 6 years. Keep up the good work, Amy!
I don't know who left the previous comment, but it MUST have been a China 7 or a China 9. The China 8s were a bit more ingenuitive. We discovered the 7-ll with a vast array of quality snacks and beverages nearby.
The highlight of that week for me was seeing Gatty Vasquez and his shiny suit.
Six years, wow!
Are you still pursuing the 3rd goal? I miss all of you.
Post a Comment