I am sure at one point in my life I was diligent, organized, and careful about what I do and how I do it. If you who have seen me in the last month or so, you will know that recently I have been the exact opposite of all of the characteristics listed above. Whether it was writing papers or packing my apartment, I have gotten into the habit of throwing things together at the last minute. For example, I have no idea what is really packed in my bags that I have carried all of the way to China with me. Once I get to my final destination, I may actually unpack and discover what made the final cut to come with me. In the meantime, I have two airport stories that describe how I feel right now.
The first story came at 5:45 in the morning on a plane in Pittsburgh. I was about to take off to head back to Colorado, after I had driven my car to Pittsburgh. Sitting on the plane, I begin talking to the guy sitting next to me. One of the first questions he asked me was “are you going home, coming home, or taking a trip somewhere?” Well, in many ways, yes, yes, and yes. He and his wife were leaving for a week to take a vacation in Aruba. I wish I had a response that was as simple as that. Instead, I had to take 5 minutes to explain the state of transition I was in, between Colorado and China, with Pittsburgh as a home base. This explanation always opens the door for more questions about what I am doing in China, beginning such basic question as “where are you going to live?” Again, I long to be able to give a solid answer that won’t make me sound like I live the life of a wandering nomad.
The second story comes the next morning at 6:30 as I stood in a long United line at DIA to check into my flight, leaving at 8:30 for San Francisco. Once I made it to the front of the check-in line, I took my passport out to scan it. I also had to scan the visa-only to find out I had an invalid visa. Well, it took me a few minutes of standing there to flag an attendent down. She immediately asked when I was returning. Another unknown answer. Well, because I only have a 90 day visa, apparently United did not want me to check in until my return ticket would return in 90 days, not trusting my ability to get my own new visa once I am here. After I tried to fight (unsuccessfully) and being sent to three different lines to consult new people (i.e. wild goose chase) I needed to check in right then if I wanted to make my trip to San Fransisco. So I begged the next woman I saw. She turned out to be very helpful and understood my situation. She checked my bags and got me my ticket to China without changing my return ticket. In exchange, she made sure I was aware of my responsibility to get a new visa, and that if I got deported, I had to be responsible for that. I know all about self-responsibility; I can take on that task.
So by that point, the nice counter woman made sure I would get to go straight through security by allowing me to get through the business class line. Sweet! I would probably get to the gate in time this way. Until I went through metal detectors with my wallet in my pocket, filled with American change, setting off the alarm. So I had to separately put my wallet through the scanner. Well, putting my wallet through after my bags and being in a hurry equals a bad combination, so I walked away without my wallet! (Yes, I am exhibiting self-responsibility.) By the time I realized I left it, I was already on the tram and needed to turn around and go back. Somehow, at 8:25 I managed to arrive breathless at my gate and got on the plane. The doors shut behind me.
The flight from Beijing to San Fran was pretty uneventful. Except for one quick research note: I sat next to an old (80+ yrs) Chinese couple who spoke no English. Most of the flight attendants do not speak Chinese so I was translating for them when necessary. The options for lunch were beef with mashed potatoes or chicken and rice. So the flight attendants walked down the aisle, asking "chicken or beef?" referring to the meat. The old couple next to me kept saying "mi fan" (rice). The flight attendant accidentally handed the old woman the beef dish (w/ mashed potatoes) and the woman said "mi fan, mi fan." Apparently the meat choice was second to whether there was rice in the dish.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, Amy! What an adventure you're on - I can't wait to read more. I'm so glad you made it and I hope you have a great time. Thanks for sharing and good luck! :)
Post a Comment