Over the weekend, I managed to lose one of the keys to my room. In a dorm in the US, this would cost money to replace the locks, but it China, the solution is cheap. I just needed to copy the key. Copying Chinese keys is a rather easy process-I've done this several times before. I once lived in a Beijing apartment that had plenty of lock and key issues (if Meg and Joey are reading this, they will remember-now its funny but at the time was rather frustrating). So, with my roommate's key in hand, I set out to pei yaoshi (copy key). I didn't know where to go exactly, but I know there are plenty of tiny little stalls every few blocks in China that can pei yaoshi for a really cheap price. I had plenty of time and wasn't worried about not finding a place.
Well, I only wish I had set out with a map of the campus and marked off each new direction that someone had sent me in. I probably asked about 10 different people, and the first 3 sent me in completely opposite directions, all on the university campus. By the time I got to the fourth person, he told me it was in the Ha Gong Da (this university) store. So I went to the store, which actually is a big lot of a series of several specialty stores. None of them little, dirty, and dark enough to pei yaoshi. But I asked and they sent me to the other side, then they send me back to the first side. Eventually, I walked out of the building and asked a man outside in a stall. He sent me to the other side of the building. Just as I was about to ask the next guy, I saw a bike tire pump. Ah-hah! Many of the places in China which can pei yaoshi are also the same ones which can fix bikes. Sure enough I turned the corner and asked if they could pei yaoshi. Two minutes later, for two yuan, I was holding a shiny key. The nice man held it up with the old key to show me they look alike. At last. And the good news is that I brought it home and it actually worked!
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Haha, yes I remember. We had those crazy fancy keys.
Post a Comment